Hydrotherapy is an important tool for many dogs participating in a physical rehabilitation program. The buoyancy of the water decreases stress on the joints allowing for a more enjoyable and safer environment during exercise. However, because of the resistance of the water, the intensity of the workout is greater.
Water tends to be both stimulating and relaxing and can be used with most dogs. Below are examples of the patients that benefit from the effects of hydrotherapy.
1. Geriatric and/or arthritic dogs
2. Overweight and/or unconditioned
3. Neurologic and/or paralyzed
4. Pre and post orthopedic surgery patients
5. Injury prevention
6. Athletes, working, or performance dogs
7. Hip Dysplasia
8. Fitness programs